Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Golden Greek

I was saddened to hear of the passing of John "The Golden Greek" Tolos. For many of us growing up in the Northeast, I mostly remember an older John Tolos as manager The Coach. In fact, to me, the Golden Greek was Spiros Arion. I do vaguely remember the Tolos Brothers but that's about it from a local remembrance. However, thru the wonderful world of Apter Mags and the likes, I grew fascinated by tales of wrestlers and angles from parts of the country that I had no access to. One of my favorite was reading about the legendary Monsel Powder angle between Tolos and Freddy Blassie. The fact Blassie was known to me only as a heel manager in the WWWF was even more confusing. BUT, man, what an angle that was. In the lingo it was often imitated yet never duplicated. I always enjoyed going out and finding mags from the 60's and 70's and inevitably there were pictures of Tolos wearing the crimson mask. Everything I've read was much like Killer Kowolski, he was a tireless worker and master of the promo. I have decided to haunt Youtube and the like just to get a feel for what kind of a worker he truly was.

R.I.P. John Tolos!

No comments: